Rand Paul’s spokesperson is a Satanic Metal God in KKK gear (5 UPDATES)

December 17, 2009
By

I know that sounds like quite a statement, but it’s, uh, the straight dope.

Chris Hightower is the campaign spokesperson for Rand Paul. The same campaign spokesperson who made an ass of himself a few weeks ago by commenting that a video comparing Trey Grayson to Adolf Hitler was “too funny“, making national press.

Needless to say, it was an embarrassment for the campaign. But “embarrassing” can be a relative term. It wasn’t, for example, anything like this:

Meet Commander.

Commander is a Metal band from Bowling Green that hung up their guitars a couple years ago. They thrashed out to songs about the Devil, liked pictures of skeletons with blood dripping from their fangs, and had very serious faces. Here are the boys, with said faces.

That serious dude on the left is the singer, Chris Hightower. Yep, the same Chris Hightower.

Here is Chris at work on stage, screaming about the Dark Lord’s mighty powers.

As for the lyrics, er, poetry of Chris Hightower, there’s not enough space here to truly give it the analysis it deserves. Here’s just a little snippet of it below, next to a scary skeleton drooling blood.

But enough about the band. They are adorable, and I wouldn’t dare hold it against anyone that they used to screach out odes to Satan, despite the fact that I don’t believe in the Dark Lord. Or Metal.

But there are some things I would hold against people.

Let’s take a gander at Chris’s MySpace page, which for reasons unknown is still public.

Purusing his friends, you of course see that Ron Paul is #1, because Ron Paul deserves to be #1 at everything. No big deal.

But check out what his good buddy “D” has to say on Chris’s wall, which has been up there for almost an entire year TWO YEARS without being taken down:

**UPDATE #1***: After going back to his MySpace page just now, the image under this now is showing. And… WOW. This sick shit was on his page for almost TWO ENTIRE YEARS, and he did not take it down.

Well. That’s… interesting. Most people I know wouldn’t have friends that say stupid racist shit like that, let alone leave comments like that up on their page for an entire year. Perhaps, as Chris is known to say, he thinks this comment was “too funny :)”?

But maybe this was just a one time mistake, and we all should forgive him.

Oh wait, here’s one of his MySpace blogs. Perhaps not.

Yep. “Mr. ‘N’ Day” used to stroll around the mall in KKK gear? And those god damn “Afro-Americans” and their “KKK radar” got their panties in a wad over it? How typical!

So, does this finally reveal to us why all those white supremacists across the country are so gung ho for Rand Paul 2010? Perhaps? Maybe somebody should ask the campaign. I figure the best person to contact is their spokesperson. Oh, wait! Coinkeedinks!

As for the rest of Chris’s MySpace poetry/prose/deep thoughts, nothing really interests/offends me. Despite the weird Satan obsession, we do agree on a couple of things.

Now, as for the deeply social conservative KY Republican voters who are choosing their Senate nominee in May? Well, there are a few things they may take issue with.

For example, his Christian outreach:

Or, his Chomsky view of American foreign policy:

Or… Jeebus, I have no idea what this shit is. But I doubt they’ll like it!

Anyway, let me just sum up my thoughts on this whole savage affair. First of all, if Rand Paul has any libertarian integrity at all, he will back up his campaign spokesman about all the Satan/Christian/ScarySkeleton/Chomsky stuff. Even though Johnson and Grayson will try to use this against him, he should stand firm behind his Bowling Green buddy and say he’s free to have his own religious beliefs. Now, when it comes to the “N Day” and “KKK hoodie” stuff… well, thats a different story. Mr. Hightower has some questions to answer about that, and if they aren’t sufficient, well, there’s only one way to go down that road, imo.

Unless the Paul campaign is trying to further strengthen their already strong white supremacist support. In that case, maybe Chris will get a raise.

As for my final thoughts, I’ll once again repeat what I’ve been saying for many months now:

Stock up on popcorn Kentucky, because we have the most entertaining Senate race in the country.

And I leave you with the only thing I can…

(h/t to Jake for tipping me off to the goodies)

***UPDATE #2***

Chris was logged in to his account 30 minutes ago, as you can see here:

Remarkably, Chris did NOT make his profile private, or delete the pic on his wall of THE LYNCHING.

What he did do is delete his blog post on wearing the KKK hoodie. As you can see above, this was posted on October 19th, 2006. It is now missing:

I’m speechless. Wow.

***UPDATE #3***

It’s 12:18, Rand Paul. Are you still employing Chris Hightower?

***UPDATE #4***

Surprise, surprise. Hightower made the video private.

Oh, but Jake kept a copy.

Enjoy :)

***UPDATE #5***

Well, at long last, he’s finally deleted his entire MySpace profile. I guess somebody’s not proud of his racist gargabe anymore, eh?

It’s 1:01, Rand Paul. Are you still employing Chris Hightower?

Oh, and Chris? I made a screenshot of every page, so it’s not like this actually solves any of this for you. You know that, right? Or are bigoted minds like yours not able to grasp difficult concepts like this?

***UPDATE #6***

And at 6:30 PM, he “resigns”

99 Responses to Rand Paul’s spokesperson is a Satanic Metal God in KKK gear (5 UPDATES)

1. Anonymous on December 17, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Hidden due to low comment rating. Click here to see.

Poorly-rated. Like or Dislike: Thumb up 0 Thumb down 3

2. Bob on December 17, 2009 at 1:43 pm

Really, Anonymous? Because having a U.S. Senate candidate spokesman who is writes satanic poetry in a fundamentalist state is big news.

And even as backward as Kentucky can be, guess what: you can't wear KKK gear and get away with it.

This dude's toast.

3. Media.Czech.is.a.Racist on December 17, 2009 at 2:05 pm

As always, Barefoot and Randy. The best place to get all of your Rand Paul news.

THANK GOODNESS for MC's love affair with Rand otherwise all we would read about is.

Dr Dan did something stupid.

Conway has no backbone and is a disappoint to all those who support him.

Trey Grayson, when he stops hiding and comes from under his rock I am sure whatever Mitch tells him to say will be very exciting.

On a serious note, Luckily I am an old fart without a myspace page. These social networks will destroy many future politicians, celebrities, leaders, athletes etc. Who doesn't have a friend who does embarrassing or stupid stuff. Who hasn't themselves done something stupid in their youth.

I predict in 10 years lots of female politicians having embarrassing Cam pictures sink them. Male politicians explaining frat boy antics. Platforms being attacked because of some post they made when they were young and dumb. (or old and dumb for that matter)

4. Anonymous on December 17, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Yes, who among us hasn't worn a KKK hoodie when we were 35? Anyone… anyone?

Come on, youthful indiscretion!

5. Anonymous on December 17, 2009 at 3:15 pm

As of this very moment Chris is online at his MySpace page. Bet that damning content won't stay up long.

6. Terri on December 17, 2009 at 3:18 pm

Napalm Death =/= KKK, though his blog about it is quite obnoxious. Way to vet your staff, Rand Paul.

7. Brad Cummings on December 17, 2009 at 3:45 pm

This is amazing Joe. Thank you for bringing this to light. I posted it on my FB account and it looks like I've pissed off the Satan worshiper. Apparently, he's happy I stepped down as Chairman of the JCRP.

Regardless of where you are on the political spectrum, I think we can all agree there is no room for this disgusting behavior in mainstream politics.

8. Anonymous on December 17, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Sheez, only in Kentucky. I can hear other candidates' ads and robo-calls now.

9. Anonymous on December 17, 2009 at 3:58 pm

y'all are just scared cuz Rand Paul's the only candidate who understand the strength of the White Power vote in Kentucky.

the rest of them candates ain't got a chance!

we don't call him Klan Paul for nuthin'!

10. Media Czech on December 17, 2009 at 3:59 pm

I can't wait for the Louisville Seminary troll to come on here and defend Hightower.

11. Anonymous on December 17, 2009 at 4:10 pm

For Satan's sake, Chris, I hope your job at McDonalds is stiil available. You're a disgrace to fellow BGers Cage The Elephant. How's that MC, you Czech, flying spaghetti monster worshipping heathen ;-)

12. Anonymous on December 17, 2009 at 4:28 pm

PS How about a little post up of In One Ear oh mighty B and P webmasters?

13. Anonymous on December 17, 2009 at 5:27 pm

I've now scrubbed my MySpace fantasies about doing Blanche Devereaux on a washing machine while Mary Richards tries to throw her knitted hat on my head while singing about making it after all. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

14. Anonymous on December 17, 2009 at 6:26 pm

Just saw a response sent by Chris Hightower to an email regarding this:

"I've never had a personal myspace page, so I can't defend something I know nothing about.

Demonic Tutor is a song written about someone we went to high school with, and yes he believed a lot of crazy stuff, which is why he was a great muse for a song.

I've been in a few christian metal bands, do you think mainstream media would like some of those lyrics? Been in a country band, rock, etc…"

What. The. Hell. Ever.

15. briansmith on December 17, 2009 at 6:35 pm

i wouldn't admit to having a myspace page either.

16. Anonymous on December 17, 2009 at 6:48 pm

Mr. Cummings, it's kinda fitting as a former county chair to be scouring and supporting a liberal blog to attack another Republican in the state. It's people like you that have helped the Republicans lose seats. You couldn't even win a Republican congressional seat in your own town.

17. Brad Cummings on December 17, 2009 at 7:02 pm

I support truth. I am just about as conservative as they come and completely supported the Tea Party movement when I was Chair. Ask Wendy Caswell.

Jake Payne is a friend of mine and while I don't know Joe, I have a feeling we'd have a great time over a beer. Part of what my background as a stage actor taught me is that you can be friends with people you disagree with.

Having a pic of an African-American hanging from a tree offends me to my core. I made a public statement against Abramson for his racist remarks and if someone on Trey's staff or Trey himself had something like this come out, I'd be the first to call them on it.

Who is this anyways? I'm a semi-public figure and had the guts to post my name. What are you hiding?

18. Mr. Liberty on December 17, 2009 at 7:19 pm

STOP YOUR FUCKING SCARE MONGERING!
    A) This man is the campaign manager, NOT RAND PAUL! This guy will not influence votes in the senate when Rand is elected.
    B) Like any of you haven't had swaying convictions throughout your life… PEOPLE CHANGE and so do their beliefs and opinions!
    C) IS THIS THE BEST YOU'VE GOT!? You can't attack the person who actually matters in this picture THE CANDIDATE Dr. PAUL so you resort to stirring up shit on others. This is a typical smear campaign and is completely FALLACIOUS! THIS IS NOT RAND PAUL, NOR HIS OPINIONS!

• Whoopsie on August 27, 2012 at 8:01 pm

If Rand Paul (didn’t) does not support Chris Hightower’s racist views…why is he currently (2012) supporting Chris in the Kentucky 16th District race? Hmmm?

19. Rick on December 17, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Dr. Paul is a conservative Christian, Music is just various markets, It is irresponsible to claim that because some was in a metal band that they are Satanic, particularly since this has now that been published on the internet (not very bright) the writer is opening himself up to lawsuit for Libel statements about Hightower as he is just working on the campaign and not actually running, you could have stuck to saying it Slander is a little harder to prove. Don’t taint this election and divide the party grasping for straws! We the commonwealth cannot afford it! If you catch a campaigner attending KKK rallies or sacrificing children to Beelzebub let us know . . . in the mean time don't promote ridiculous conspiracy theories.

20. Anonymous on December 17, 2009 at 7:20 pm

"It just keeps coming. Jake just found a YouTube video of Chris Hightower denouncing Southern Baptists and DEFENDING POLYGAMY. This is Kentucky, mind you. A Kentucky REPUBLICAN primary."

Which is why it's remarkably hypocritical that–as a "progressive"–you are mocking and calling him to answer for his personal beliefs and gleefully hoping that the religious right–who want's to impose their beliefs on others- will push his boss out of the primary due to his spokesman's hobbies in his private life. I can only imagine how viciously you would go after him if he was gay. Ditto for his private beliefs on foreign policy.

Some really "progressive" politics you have here.

As to the racial stuff, it seems that he was reacting towards being stared at because of his "metal" look and they felt they were reacting "as if" he was wearing a KKK hoodie and joked that his "metal" look had KKK written all over him. At least that's the way it would come off to anyone with an ounce of good faith.

As to the reprehensible comments on the myspace page, when was the last time the page was logged in? It seems to have been in disuse for some time. Was the last time before the comments were placed? Also as hard as it may be to realize this maybe it was more important for him to not offend his racist friend rather than register his objection on what was until now a little trafficked private myspace page.

21. Media Czech on December 17, 2009 at 7:28 pm

And at long last, here come the unhinged all caps bad grammar excuses!!! What took you White Male Liberty Patriots so long???

And seriously, you guys need to get your lies straight, you are all over the place.

22. Anonymous on December 17, 2009 at 7:28 pm

Because it's so much better to pacify racists & not stand up to it. Just like in the '50s when blacks were being lynched–better not say anything, you don't want to hurt your racist friends feelings…

23. Brad Cummings on December 17, 2009 at 7:30 pm

Rick

You're absolutely right. This isn't Rand and shouldn't be a part of who he is. But if he continues to employ people like this, he's condoning these actions.

And it's not just the heavy metal band with Satanic lyrics that I'm reacting to. Personally, that doesn't really offend me much. But the racist crap is just offensive. I'm unabashedly a civil rights guy and so I will stand up against racism every time. Anyone who knows me knows that's part of who I am.

24. Mr. Liberty on December 17, 2009 at 7:32 pm

BRAD, HE DIDN'T POST A PICTURE OF A HANGING SOMEONE POSTED IT TO HIS WALL. I don't know if you understand how myspace works but in the caption you can see who posted it. It was not chris. Nor did he have on a KKK shirt! He had on a metal shirt. Get over yourself Mr. "semi-public leader". You're not a leader you're a follower. You and neo-cons like you made a hostile takeover of the TRUE TEA PARTY MOVEMENT! It's funny that I NEVER HAVE SEEN YOU AT ONE END THE FED RALLY IN LOUISVILLE!

25. Media Czech on December 17, 2009 at 7:36 pm

Mr. Liberty, you might be the finest example of a White Male Liberty Patriot Teabagger I've ever seen.

Actually… you've gotta be satire. Too good.

CAPSCAPSCAPSCAPSCAPSCAPSCAPS!!!!

26. Anonymous on December 17, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Oh and I forget to drop this bombshell:
    Ron Edwards, head of the KKK supporting Trey Grayson!

No comment on the support of the Head of the KKK? Unlike some racist crank on a forum this guy counts as one heck of an endorsement! And this is while Grayson is Secretary of State and candidate for Senate.

My, my, my what will you do now?

27. Brad Cummings on December 17, 2009 at 7:49 pm

Mr. Liberty, if that is your real name…

I completely understand how MySpace works. And if someone posted a picture of a guy being hung in a lynching and said "Happy N$#$@R Day" that pic would be deleted and they would be defriended faster than they could say lynch mob. No tolerance for that crap. None at all. If you disagree, I feel sorry for you.

And I never hijacked the Tea Party movement. As a matter of fact, we only sent out emails to let our people know about it and had booths at every event. I made myself available for advice, but nothing more.

We did no planning and we never took credit for anything that happened. Wendy and company did a fantastic job with this and it would have been a disgrace to try and steal that from them. Sometimes, leadership is understanding when to take a backseat. But I suspect you have never really led anything in your life so I understand your ignorance.

I want Rand to have a strong campaign. It's pushing Trey to be a better candidate. Hopefully he'll see what this is doing to his chances.

28. Terri on December 17, 2009 at 7:53 pm

@Mr. Liberty – You know what? This guy isn't running for office, you're right. But he is on the campaign staff. HE IS AN OFFICIAL CAMPAIGN STAFF MEMBER. Unlike the jerkwads who come on here griping about Rev. Wright and Jeremiah Ayers, there is an actual relationship b/w this person and the candidate. Rand Paul may raise a shitload of money and have grassroots support, but he needs to have some fucking professionalism in his campaign, and keeps dropping the ball. As a U.S. Senator, Paul will have staffers in Washington, and I sure don't want one to be someone who was too lazy to at least pretend to be disgusted by the racism on his page.

@Rick – What conspiracy theories. I can only speak for myself, but I find metal to be more awesome than frightening, and take that aspect of the OP to be a joke, and other aspects to be dead serious.

@ Anon 2:19 – Progressive doesn't mean not having to be accountable. And you're dense if you read that post and gather nothing from contempt from it. And, sorry, I know a dog whistle when I see it.

29. Anonymous on December 17, 2009 at 8:01 pm

Look I've had older family members that have said racist things in private that I don't berate them over. If they cross the line in public then yes I would say something. To suggest because I don't attack a family member over his repugnant beliefs is akin to allowing a lynching is insulting and deranged.

Again we don't know whether he even saw the comments. Why won't Media Czech reveal the "last login" before the most recent one if he has the screenshots?

30. Anonymous on December 17, 2009 at 8:09 pm

It's one thing to not say something to a racist relative at a private family gathering–it's quite another to let an image of a lynching captioned with "Happy Nigger Day" up on your PUBLIC MySpace page.

31. Mr. Liberty on December 17, 2009 at 8:19 pm

Brad- You through you're public position and people like you, "neo-cons" completely hijacked the true tea party movement. There is no debating that. There is also no debating the fact that I didn't see you out rallying the people against the federal reserve at ANY OF THE END THE FED MARCHES IN LOUISVILLE! You're a classic neo-con and move populist opinion with your "semi-public" position, only intersted in supporting the newest rave on fox news. You are as steeped in destroying the true republican party as your favored candidate.
    Terri – I'm sorry that you still have pent up anger over the Obama campaign. How does RAND keep dropping the ball? I'm not sure that you people understand that he is not the typical candidate. We support him because of his PRINCIPALS not because he's a smooth talker or constantly looking over his shoulder to keep dirty secrets on the hush. He's a real statesman not some politically correct goodie tooshoo. He has real substance.

32. Terri on December 17, 2009 at 9:01 pm

"I'm sorry that you still have pent up anger over the Obama campaign."

I don't have any anger pent up. In fact, I've always been pretty open about anything that's angered me. And I'd say I found the whole thing more sad/amusing than angering.

"How does RAND keep dropping the ball?"

Because he's hiring and affiliating himself with incompetent morons.

"I'm not sure that you people understand that he is not the typical candidate."

That's fine and noble enough, at least as far as people who are buying what he's selling. And I do appreciate the fact that he is not aligning himself (so far) with the RPK good-ole-boys network. But he's a grown-up, his staff members are grown-ups, this is a serious race with serious implications for KY and the nation, and the people he has hired to promote his candidacy aren't acting like it.

"We support him because of his PRINCIPALS not because he's a smooth talker or constantly looking over his shoulder to keep dirty secrets on the hush"

WTF? What does this even have to do with anything?

"He's a real statesman not some politically correct goodie tooshoo. He has real substance."

Of course, where WMLP's see "political correctness," I see "being a decent human being," but I digress.

"The best that you can do is attack someone for something they didn't do and FALLACIOUSLY imply that this has something to do with the campaign and what Dr. Paul is about. These writers will be lucky to not go to court about such claims."

It does have to do with the campaign. If you're going to swear up and down that Rand Paul is a candidate for the people, and not just, ahem, WMLP's, well…this whole deal certainly doesn't help that case now, does it? As far as court? I am sure these writers are shaking in their Chucks.

33. Will on December 17, 2009 at 9:02 pm

I did see the Hitler video and it was hilarious, where it has gone I don't know, there is about 900 or more spoofs using the same video clip on youtube if you search "Hitler reacts", I don't know who put it up but it was funny. If Grayson’s camp can't take a poke better than this he has no business in D.C. Especially since it did not compare him to Hitler anymore than any of these other spoofs do people and sport teams ect that have been paired up as well.

34. Rick on December 17, 2009 at 9:14 pm

Terri, by every title in the OP making a factual assertion he is a satanic racist makes the entire thing worthless of any kind of seriousness, Its just another cheep ad hominid attack with no real substance . . . yes I do agree with you metal is more awesome. But please show me some proof this stuff is really true, there’s no accountability here and even though I like Trey when I see stuff like this it makes me lean towards Paul because I suspect he is supporting such stretches to associate his opponent with negative connotations. There are more effective ways to battle your opponent than defaming the low man on the totem poll and it is foolish to take any of this OP as serious. Clearly its all bias agenda not information. Merry Christmas, and may the Lord give us all a little wisdom.

35. Mr. Liberty on December 17, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Terri i can tell two things. A. You're terrified of WMLP's?!?! AND MOST IMPORTANTLY YOU'RE A LIAR! HE DIDN'T WEAR A KKK SHIRT! CAN YOU READ? "Long hair and wearing black metal band t'shirts….I cut my hair now I'm being MISTAKEN for a skinhead and KKK member". Luckily I can read dumbass.

36. Media.Czech.is.a.Racist on December 17, 2009 at 9:20 pm

I have been gone all day and I missed a bunch of the updates. Can someone tell me when Barefoot and Randy stepped into bizarro world. I thought we did not like Southern Baptists on this website. I thought we liked Chomsky. Did someone redirect the url to FreeRepublic?

37. Anonymous on December 17, 2009 at 9:30 pm

UPDATE 6:

National media picks up on this.

38. greengeekgirl on December 17, 2009 at 9:30 pm

@ Anon Dec 17 2009 3.01 PM:

We do know that he logged in after the comment was made, in June 2008 if not before. We know this because there is a blog dated for June 4, 2008. Even if he went the just-over-four-months without logging in at all, he definitely logged in with plenty of time to see it, be appalled by it, and take it down.

39. greengeekgirl on December 17, 2009 at 9:32 pm

Also, I would like to note that it took my powers of logic, reason, and observation less than five minutes to figure that one out.

40. Cyberhillbilly on December 17, 2009 at 9:50 pm

While I don't buy the stuff about not seeing the "Happy N****** Day" comment, it's sorta irrelevant. We know the guy goes to a mall, tries to intimidate people for no reason other than the color of their skin, and then thinks it's a big frigging joke. And when his friends comment he says "I guess they had their KKK radar on", implying that they had a feeling that he was a racist and that they were indeed correct.

Besides that, the lyrics, the band gig, all that weird poetry crap… it all boils down to the fact that this guy is one strange individual. Why are these strange people so attracted to Ron and Rand Paul? It's like someone hung a sign out and said "All Kooks Welcome!"

41. Terri on December 17, 2009 at 9:52 pm

Terri i can tell two things. A. You're terrified of WMLP's?!?!

I wonder why.

AND MOST IMPORTANTLY YOU'RE A LIAR! HE DIDN'T WEAR A KKK SHIRT! CAN YOU READ?

Where did I ever say anyone wore a KKK shirt? Can you please show me? If so, I will make a small donation to the NRA in your name. And yes, I can read. I've been doing it since I was 4, and it is one of my favorite activities, though I do have the unfortunate habit of skimming things I don't find interesting rather than truly reading.

42. Anonymous on December 17, 2009 at 10:11 pm

Media Czech,

You were the one who found all of this? Congrats Mr. Detective.

Rand Paul will have to get rid of this clown. People have donated to much to the campaign to have one idiot ruin it.

43. Anonymous on December 17, 2009 at 10:16 pm

Media Czech,

Will you please clarify who broke this story or what parts you broke?

44. Jake on December 17, 2009 at 10:50 pm

I uncovered the information and pushed it off on Joe because I had to write that damn Sylvia Lovely (bitch) story last night.

But he deserves the credit, obviously, because he wrote it.

45. Keegan Frank on December 18, 2009 at 3:26 am

commanderband.com now redirects to First Baptist Church in Bowling Green. Is that Rand's church? (Much of the metal rawk site is still available in Google-cached form for those who want to see it.)

46. Anonymous on December 18, 2009 at 4:01 am

Apparently the "KKK Gear" was a Napalm Death "Smear Campaign" CD cover hoodie that had KKKer with a skeleton:

What I think happened is that Hightower didn't realize the band's hoodie had that on there and why the people at the mall were so offended. Once he realize what happened he pointed out that crazy situation to his readers.

The band, Napalm Death, from a quick google search is not racist from what I've seen and in fact contributed to an "anti-Racist" album in '99. Here are some of the lyrics:
    A chronic complaint of dimness
    Prevails your profound ideology.
    - a romantic vision of a ´ master race ª
    Attained through coercive forms of authority.

Your observance is negligence
    If you see the threat from different cultures.
    Were all in this sinking ship,
    Each of us together.

As for the other stuff, well he should have removed it if he knew about it. I think that proves him insensitive but not necessarily racist.

The man lost his job over this you should post a correction in light of the evidence above.

47. Anonymous on December 18, 2009 at 4:44 am

Jake- how did find the story or how did you come across it?

I'm have no involvement in this and don't know any of these people, but I'm just curious. Did you just do a webs search for Truth is Treason and you found it?

48. Jake on December 18, 2009 at 4:46 am

Truth is Treason came a week or two ago on Page One.

This information was obtained via actual interviews/communication with people to find out what was up in Rand Paul's campaign world.

49. Anonymous on December 18, 2009 at 4:48 am

Ah so you had a source that told you about it, and where to go to find this information on myspace?

50. Jake on December 18, 2009 at 4:53 am

Not exactly.

I spoke with multiple people – including Paul Campaign Staffers – in order to find out what was going on inside the campaign. One of them, fairly high-level, indicated that they'd been looking to find a way to pull Chris from staff for a few weeks with no luck. All of the conversations occurred over a several day period.

One of the people I spoke with early yesterday was a Grayson supporter (in the interest of transparency, here) – they were zero help and didn't want me to do anything.

51. Anonymous on December 18, 2009 at 4:57 am

Jake,

If you didn't have a lead at that point in time when you were interviewing all these people, what exactly were you interviewing them for or what were you looking for….or what were you asking them about?

52. Terri on December 18, 2009 at 4:59 am

Back in my day, we lovingly referred to FBC as Fort God. It seems to have doubled in size in the last ten years. Truth time? I'm kinda digging the dude's band a little bit.

53. Jake on December 18, 2009 at 5:01 am

Had tons of leads and was discussing quite a bit of different topics.

Can't reveal what I have been looking for.

But stay tuned for more national media attention.

54. Anonymous on December 18, 2009 at 5:06 am

I hope it wasn't something to do with campaign finance laws?

55. Jake on December 18, 2009 at 5:08 am

Haha – it's not like one has to look very hard to find a campaign finance problem.

(But that wasn't it)

56. Anonymous on December 18, 2009 at 5:11 am

Ahh OK,

Well I've read your Page One site, and that is the topic that I seem to remember you being fascinated with.

But no I am really curious to know what you were looking for.

Hopefully you will tell us soon.

57. Jake on December 18, 2009 at 5:12 am

I'll try to get it all out soon.

Just so long as Sylvia Lovely/the rest of Frankfort doesn't do something stupid like… waste eleventy billion dollars. Then I'll have time to focus on things.

58. briansmith on December 18, 2009 at 11:19 am

I'm both shocked and awed that I find myself liking Brad Cummings.(not in any way that involves teabagging, though).

59. Anonymous on December 18, 2009 at 2:04 pm

This is a Grayson campaign smear job. He was waaaay to quick with the "official response".

60. Anonymous on December 18, 2009 at 2:06 pm

That sure doesn't look to me like a pro-KKK image.

61. Anonymous on December 18, 2009 at 2:09 pm

I haven't looked at my MySpace page in a couple of years. I've been using FaceBook and Twitter lately, and it wouldn't surprise me if some pinhead who wanted to smear me pulled a stunt like that.

What I'm seeing here is a re-run of the bullshit that was used against Ron Paul just before the New Hampshire primary.

62. Anonymous on December 18, 2009 at 2:33 pm

It is easy to be a progressive because you do not have to think.

63. Anonymous on December 18, 2009 at 2:42 pm

Is "Rand Paul" the demonic Hellspawn of Ayn Rand and Ron Paul? Them Kentucky Republicans shore knows how to do some politickin'.. LOL.

(Paddle faster, I hear banjos!)

64. Josh Hines on December 18, 2009 at 4:43 pm

Hey, this is Josh Hines, the bassist in the pictures above of Commander with Chris. Today I spoke to Chris over the phone for the first time in about 2 years. I'd love to talk to somebody about this to set some records straight. I've been in numerous bands with Chris and have known him for about 7 or 8 years, the last band we did together was Commander and it broke up almost 3 years ago. There was a 2 year span that Commander was going that I spent about 3 to 5 nights a week with Chris and the rest of the band. I've spent weeks straight in a car with Chris while on tour. Everything you've described above is not the Chris Hightower that I know. In all that time I never got the impression that Chris was even slightly racist much less actually heard him say something racist. As far as the lyrical content of the band, we were a metal band, we wrote songs for our audience. You don't listen to metal to get love songs anymore than you listen to bubblegum pop music for elaborate storytelling. I don't agree with Chris's political views and I'm definitely not a Rand Paul supporter but he's a stand up guy that has a family and now he's lost his job over things I personally know to be complete lies. If anyone would like to talk to me about this I'd love to help clear the name of an old friend.

Also, although I wasn't with Chris at the time of this mall story and I honestly don't recall ever hearing it, I know the exact hoodie that Chris was wearing at that mall. It's a Napalm Death hoodie with a lot of controversial images on it, the hoodie represented an album that was very much anti-racist. If you saw the context of the pictures on the hoodie and the album it represents you'd definitely be telling this "news story" differently.

I'm not going to post my email address on here because I don't want to risk getting flooded with emails but if somebody wants some truth about Chris Hightower then tell me how to contact you and I'd love to talk with you and answer some questions about him and his character.

65. Anonymous on December 18, 2009 at 4:53 pm

yet he snuck back online yesterday morning and only deleted that post, then lied to reporters about even having a myspace page. hmmm…

The metal music/lyrics are funny, but his attitude in that "Afro-American" post and the lynching pic are not.

66. Josh Hines on December 18, 2009 at 5:06 pm

You know, I don't recall Chris having a myspace page when I knew him. I don't know what years this stuff was supposed to have been posted but I was with Chris constantly up until February 2007 when the band broke up and I don't remember him mentioning a myspace page other than the one the band had. The only thing I can say is if he did have a personal page and somebody else posted an image other than Chris then I don't see how he can be held accountable for it. I go for long periods of time without checking my personal myspace page so i can see how something might slip by. But that's just me, I'm not running for office or working for somebody that is.

67. Anonymous on December 18, 2009 at 5:08 pm

"You will be judged by the company you keep."
    Read "The Rand Paul/Ron Schizophrenic Senate Campaign in Kentucky" http://nationalwriterssyndicate.com/content/view/1566/2/
    This goes to judgement and character. Rand simply lacks good judgement and failed to properly vet his people.
    The Senate is not the place for a man of this poor character and lacking judgement as Paul evidences across the state.

68. Terri on December 18, 2009 at 6:46 pm

Hey Josh -

Holla @ me on FB if you want (I think I'm friends w/ you on there, or TVH, maybe). I know the Napalm Death album you're talking about, and I know you're right about it, but the context of his post was hostile, and the whole deal (esp. the happy n- day) was really more just about the utter lack of professionalism on the part of a campaign staffer than, necessarily, that person's character as a friend or bandmate.

69. Marvin Music on December 18, 2009 at 6:55 pm

I'm absolutely finished with Ron and Rand Paul. I just don't trust these guys.

And the more I really think about it, the more I realize how screwed up the libertarian mindset is. I absolutely 100% agree with libertarians on social issues, but on economics they're approach would lead to extreme division between the classes.

70. Josh Hines on December 18, 2009 at 7:06 pm

Terri, I sent you a message on FB.

71. Anonymous on December 18, 2009 at 7:19 pm

The Happy N***** Day thing is pretty unconscionable, but a Napalm Death hoodie is not "KKK Gear". Napalm Death have been serious anti-fascists for longer than I've been alive.

72. Portuguese cunt on December 18, 2009 at 9:43 pm

Good investigative reporting. This guy is a dumbass– I feel bad for Paul, actually– whoever is running his ship is asleep at the fucking wheel.

How did this guy become a spokesman for the campaign? Don't they do any VETTING at ALL?

73. Anonymous on December 18, 2009 at 10:09 pm

Why are you linking to Carlos Santana's MySpace page?

74. Anonymous on December 18, 2009 at 10:18 pm

because that's the supposed chris hightower page. don't you know that all racists like santana?

75. TonyJazz on December 18, 2009 at 10:21 pm

Rand's father didn't do much better than Hightower when Ron Paul had a role in the Bruno movie….

Good work on this investigation. Congratulations are in order.

76. Media Czech on December 18, 2009 at 10:25 pm

anon: "because that's the supposed chris hightower page."

supposed!!! love it!

You Paulbots keep up the hard work cracking this 5 year long conspiracy to bring down Rand Paul's Senate campaign. I KNOW you can do it.

77. Anonymous on December 18, 2009 at 10:38 pm

yeah, supposed. because racists like hispanics. right?

78. Anonymous on December 18, 2009 at 10:41 pm

The thread that keeps on giving

79. aaron on December 18, 2009 at 11:14 pm

Napalm Death in no way is associated with any racist ideals. Their message is a very humanitarian and socially aware one as many politically driven grindcore bands share. The only thing that could possibly make one think this way is if someone saw their shirt/hoodie with a swastika crossed out from a distance not seeing the fact it was crossed out and that it says "Nazi punks, fuck off." I don't know why Hightower would not make that distinction being a fan of the band, maybe he didn't understand their message. Here's a link to see it yourselves.

and a quote from one of Napalm Death's songs:

"Harmony can only flourish with mutual regard."

80. Anonymous on December 19, 2009 at 3:51 am

This is awesome beyond words. But who is Rand Paul, anyway?

81. Anonymous on December 19, 2009 at 9:43 pm

I see some others have already come to Napalm Death's defense; let me join them. Napalm Death, lyrically and otherwise, has nothing to do with this cracker nonsense.

82. Anonymous on December 19, 2009 at 9:46 pm

You have Carlos Santana's page up there instead, at the link.

83. briansmith on December 20, 2009 at 12:26 am

I think Mr. Hightower's dismissive attitude towards the "Afro-Americans" he offended, his probably apocryphal recounting of how he aggressively stared them down, and his joke about the KKK image ("LOL") speaks volumes about his racist mind-set. And in 2006, no 30- something year old man used the phrase "Afro-American" unless they were seriously trying to come across as a racist dick, and were speaking to an audience of racist dicks.

The humanitarian lyrics, and blow-your-freakin'-mind imagery of this particular band are irrelevant to this racist dick's words and actions.

84. Anonymous on December 20, 2009 at 1:00 am

this guy is AWESOME! the rest of you, well, you suck, your state is fuckin ubergay, i feel sorry he has to live in it. napalm death lol, happy nigger day? what like your granddaddy's didn't lynch nobody? you're so civil rights? what about science lol. please shut the fuck up, not everyone has to be a PC loser like the rest of you. i'm sure you have some black friends right? sure you do lol. self-righteous cunts.

85. tbrauch on December 20, 2009 at 5:36 am

"your state is fuckin ubergay, i feel sorry he has to live in it. "

Ah, imagine that, a Rand Paul supporter who lives out of state. Color me surprised.

Well, skippy, I don't think the majority of the state would weep a tear if Randy packed his bags and headed out of the state.

86. Anonymous on December 20, 2009 at 8:20 pm

He's a terrible person, to be sure, but what I simply can't forgive is his clumsy "KKK radar."

Everyone knows the proper term is KKKdar, you fuckin' hick.

87. Anonymous on December 20, 2009 at 8:51 pm

"what like your granddaddy's didn't lynch nobody? you're so civil rights? what about science lol. please shut the fuck up, not everyone has to be a PC loser like the rest of you. i'm sure you have some black friends right? sure you do lol. self-righteous cunts."

Glenn Beck's demographic, folks. Also why either Pauls' appearances on Beck are indicative of his desperation to associate with these people.

Hell, there are plenty of Liberals that like some of the Pauls' ideas and dedication but can't stand their followers and the (racist subset of) survivalist associations they make.

Grow. The. Fuck. Up. Ron and Rand.

Stop talking to Beck. Stop talking to Bachmann. Don't you realize that they're exploiting you and your "tea party" ideas? They're fake, they don't like you any more than they like Obama, etc.

They're simply political opportunists, the same type that trashed you in a heartbeat as "nuts" prior to obama. Granted, I do think they're a little nuts, but I don't hide that, and they're infinitely more sane than the teabaggers they inadvertently spawned, and infinitely less corrupt than Lieberman and his cohorts.

88. Anonymous on December 20, 2009 at 8:54 pm

"You know, I don't recall Chris having a myspace page when I knew him. I don't know what years this stuff was supposed to have been posted but I was with Chris constantly up until February 2007 when the band broke up and I don't remember him mentioning a myspace page other than the one the band had. The only thing I can say is if he did have a personal page and somebody else posted an image other than Chris then I don't see how he can be held accountable for it."

He's had the account for a while before that time. He has full access to his account, and only removed the KKK update, not the lynch pics to begin with before finally deleting his account using his creds. Racists these days are closeted, preferring to make these comments when they think nobody's looking. Thank goodness they're stupid enough to post without using privacy filters.

89. Combinationpizzahutandtacobell on December 20, 2009 at 11:01 pm

whats wrong with metal?

90. L on December 21, 2009 at 4:19 am

I am so disappointed in you all that this isn't a 100 comment post by now. For shame.

91. Anonymous on December 21, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Possible "muse" for his Demonic Tutor song?

MtG FTW!

92. Andy Morgan on December 22, 2009 at 9:56 am

So I knew Chris Hightower fairly well at one point in time, and rode to more than a few shows with him, Josh Hines (the bass player who's already commented here), and the rest of the band. I knew Chris well enough to hear some ranting and such from him and know that more than anything, Chris has a sense of humor and is very tongue-in-cheek. Call his comments irresponsible or crass or whatever you want, but I don't think they indicate any real racism. If anything, he laughs at the fact that people thought he was racist. He doesn't go on any rant about how they had no right to be mad because of his self-expression or anything. And I think Chris was against misguided organized religion, but can anyone really claim that no bad has come from organized religion? Really? Come now. And as for the "N Day" thing, well, again, that's something someone else posted and not Mr. Hightower's responsibility. Let's think about the fact that his myspace page was named "Carlos" and had a picture of Mr. Santana as the profile picture. You really think he intended anything there to be taken seriously? And don't tell me how racism isn't funny and blah blah blah, because everyone already knows that, but look, people say "edgy" or dumb thinks sarcastically to be funny. In every. Form. Of. Entertainment. And I mean if you don't like that you can always move to a country where people don't do that, I guess.

As for the band, it's just songs. Lyrics written for effect and to evoke moods. Stories. Etc. Calm down.

If Chris did his job well and had a good head on his shoulders (despite the extreme universal importance of his MYSPACE profile), to hell with the rest of it.

And this isn't my battle to fight as I came here to defend an old friend, but seriously, no one's impressed at you guys' racist witchhunt or discussing how you're so "civil rights." Half of what keeps racism from going the way of the buffalo is people panicking and telling white people what words they can and can't say. Not everyone who's made a joke in poor taste is an evil racist hick.

93. Brett Stevens on December 22, 2009 at 6:50 pm

Actually, as I point out in this article:

He wasn't wearing KKK gear.

He was wearing a shirt from leftist anti-KKK band Napalm Death!

People need to understand their death metal and grindcore better. You can't just write about some genre without investigating it.

94. Anonymous on January 2, 2010 at 5:31 pm

Mr. Liberty, you are making very weak and invalid points. Some of the offending material was posted by others, yes, but you have control over whether or not it stays, and he tolerated it being there – since we know he found it amusing to compare Trey Grayson to Adolf Hitler, there's no reason to believe he wouldn't tolerate something like that. Second of all, he posted plenty of the stuff HIMSELF so your argument completely falls apart, even if we were to believe he never saw all of those offensive posts on his page he left there from his buddies. And apparently Chris Hightower was a member of the satanic rock group cited in this blog post – so the question for Rand Paul is why does he openly associate with these kinds of individuals, let alone hire one as his official campaign spokesman? It is a valid question, and one that needs to be answered.

95. Anonymous on January 4, 2010 at 5:41 am

Often we forget the little guy, the SMB, in our discussions of the comings and goings of the Internet marketing industry. Sure there are times like this when a report surfaces talking about their issues and concerns but, for the most part, we like to talk about big brands and how they do the Internet marketing thing well or not so well.

96. Anonymous on January 5, 2010 at 11:56 pm

Napalm Death isnt racist! And neither is this dude!
    SO some asshole posted a lynching pic on his comments.
    That sucks.
    But does it make dude racist?
    Political correctness sucks.
    His blog post wasn't racist either.
    Anytime a white person says something about black people, they're a racist is that it?
    Gimme a break.
    Oh, and both of these candidates suck balls anyway.

97. bt anderson on January 6, 2010 at 8:56 pm

As a Rand Paul supporter I want to thank everyone who looks into this stuff and helps clean out the garbage. The liberty movement is the very opposite of racism these people hurt the movement more than any ignorant opposition or dirty political moves.

The campaign is now leaner and stronger because of this blog. Thanks again for your help.

98. Richard on May 24, 2013 at 12:39 pm

I see the preponderance may of had a sense of humor. The funny thing about Adolph Hitler was that his DNA showed him to be a Black Jew. E1b1b – That’s funny – History has been so distorted.